The First Lady has announced the deactivation on her Twitter account, following ban on the microblogging site by the Nigerian government.
In a statement on Friday, Nigeria’s communications minister Lai Mohammed announced the suspension, citing persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence as a reason for the suspension.
The suspension by the Nigerian government comes days after a post by President Buhari on the 1967 civil war was deleted by the microblogging platform.
The suspension of the social networking service was also shared on the Twitter handle of the Federal Ministry of Information, which has since generated reactions from some Nigerians on Twitter.
The Nigerian government’s spokesman cited “the persistent use of the platform for activities capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence” as the reason for the suspension.
In what appeared as solidarity with her husband’s administration, Aisha, who joined Twitter in February 2016, and has over one million followers on Friday, said she was deleting her account.
“I will be deactivating my Twitter account for now. Long live Federal Republic of Nigeria,” she tweeted at 11:59pm on Friday.
Mrs Buhari, who joined Twitter on February 2016, has over one million followers.
The first lady has been active on social media, promoting her activities and at times criticizing government policies.
A top source had told newsmen in December 2020 that the First Lady had now relocated quietly to the UAE and that she would not be returning anytime soon.
“Aisha Buhari has relocated quietly to Dubai. She had been going even before the daughter’s wedding. For three months now, she had been there.
“Before the wedding, she also stayed for months during lockdown, shopping and relaxing. She was initially planned to be sick (sic). But since the end of the wedding, she has been away.
“And then, Zahra had a baby. Aisha has been away since. Occasionally, she issues statements announcing the distribution of palliatives. She cited insecurity in the Villa after that shooting incident,” a presidency source had stated.