The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Translation and Legal Drafter
Requisition ID: 483
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethopia
Reports to: Project Coordinator – HCSS
Directorate: Office of the Legal counsel
Division: Hybrid Court for South Sudan (HCSS)
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Purpose of Job
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible to properly translate documents, ensure the highest standard of accuracy, and maintain the spirit, context, quality, technical language and nuances of the original version, using precise, clear and proper terminology.
- He/She will also be responsible to draft regulations, delegations, agreements and other instruments necessary to fulfil the vision and support the implementation of the Hybrid Court for South Sudan.
Under the overall supervision of the Legal Counsel and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Translation and Legal Drafter job level involves the following:
- Assist in the following up on the activities of the HCSS, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the HCSS internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships.
- Support the promotion of the activities of the HCSS.
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the HCSS
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Translation and Legal Drafter will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assess the translation, interpretation and reporting needs of the Project;
- Provide quality translation of working documents from English into Arabic;
- Ensure accuracy of terms and terminology used in the source document, and consult with the author when required;
- Provide support in editing documents drafted in Arabic;
- Provide advice to Project Coordinator in relation with hiring the services of Translators and interpreters if need be; and
- Draft regulations, agreements and other legal instruments on instructions of the Legal Counsel and Project Coordinator.
- Undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Legal Counsel and Project Coordinator.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- University Bachelor Degree in translation, linguistics, law and political science from a recognized institution with 5 years’ experience in translating legal documents and drafting legal instruments.
- Candidates with a Masters Degree in translation, linguistics, law and political science from a recognized institution must have 2 years’ experience in translating legal documents and drafting legal instruments.
- Progressively responsible professional experience in translation in similar international organization is an added value;
- Excellent skills in drafting and IT skills;
- Experience in managing the translation and/or interpretation department(s) of an international judicial institution;
- A demonstrated track record of successfully managing large quantities of translation and interpretation work and increasing productivity;
- Broad knowledge of established practices and recent developments in interpretation services in international organisations;
- A thorough knowledge of the regulatory framework governing translation services in the AU context;
- Working knowledge of other working language;
- Ability to perform under hardship and strenuous environment; and
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, in Arabic and English.
- Change Management .
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Accountability awareness and Compliance.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Job Knowledge and information sharing.
- Drive for result.
- Continuous improvement focus.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
- The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 85,212.07 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 66,751.81 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
7th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The insightful text which goes for twenty-five thousand naira [N25,000] only ( with free delivery throughout Nigeria for those who take advantage of the early bird offer ), has 18 chapters and over 600 pages of expository content. It is ‘a comprehensive book on the policy, legal and regulatory framework governing the Nigerian Telecommunication sector’.
For more information or to pre-order your copies, please visit: Website: https:ntlr.com.ng/, E-mail: email@example.com, WhatsApp: 07056184412